Government Proposes List of Approved Venues for Reopening Of Entertainment Sector
- In anticipation of the full reopening of the entertainment sector, the Government has proposed a list of approved venues that will be made available at subsidized rates as a stimulus for the sector, which has been severely impacted by the coronavirus pandemic. This was disclosed by Minister of Culture, Gender, Entertainment and Sport, Hon. Olivia Grange, who said these venues will be retrofitted to comply with COVID-19 safety protocols.
- “These venues include facilities at Independence Park, Trelawny Stadium, and the Port Royal Entertainment Zone, including Fort Rocky and Fort Charles, as well as Seville Heritage Park. We’re still finalizing the arrangements while continuing consultations with stakeholders for the reopening of the wider entertainment sector and will make the appropriate announcements soon,” she said.
- Grange noted that in preparation for the reopening of the wider entertainment sector, the Government engaged in consultations with members of the sector on the prevailing health conditions in the country as well as the specific protocols that would have to be employed for particular activities.
- Grange also stated that while months were spent discussing and refining proposals for the safe reopening of the wider entertainment sector, the Government has also “been busy building the capacity of members of the sector to enable them to Build Back Stronger” from the pandemic.
- This bodes well for the recovery in the services sector, which has contracted in each quarter since the onset of the pandemic, due to restrictions imposed to contain the spread of the virus.